It was just announced that Marvel has partnered up with Susan G. Komen For A Cure to release eight special comic covers for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. As you can see from the above slideshow for these variant covers your favorite heroes will be sporting a little more pink than usual.
Each issue will include a one page advertorial highlighting one of the most important goals of this partnership which is to raise awareness of breast cancer in men. I happen to think is partnership ingenious and a great example of how co-branding can get out a message to an unlikely audience. Although the number of breast cancer cases in men is much lower than that in women it does happen and since most men do not realize that they can get breast cancer a lot of times it’s caught at a much later stage.
According to the press release “It’s rewarding to see the partnership between Marvel and Susan G. Komen For The Cure produce such exciting art to raise awareness about the risk of breast cancer to both women and men,” said Dan Buckley, Publisher & President of the Print, Animation & Digital Divisions, Marvel Worldwide, Inc. “We hope that all our fans take a moment this month to educate themselves on the ways to fight—and reduce– this risk of this disease by checking out the free resources Komen has to offer.”
The Susan G. Komen variant covers will be for the following comic and will be for sale as noted below.
- Avengers #31 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 10, 2012
- Captain America #18 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 10, 2012
- Captain Marvel #5 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 10, 2012
- Fantastic Four #611 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 10, 2012
- Invincible Iron Man #526 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 10, 2012
- The Mighty Thor #21 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 17, 2012
- Uncanny X-Men #20 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 17 2012
- Wolverine #315 Komen variant, on sale Oct. 24, 2012
So remember comic book readers of all genders go get your boobs checked, Marvel wants you to!